At Brookfield our aim is for every child to mature into a competent and confident reader whilst also developing a life-long love of reading.
We do this through:
- Three reading sessions a week focusing on the teaching of a new comprehension skill, opportunities to practise using it as well as applying their new knowledge to both fiction and non-fiction texts.
- Focused and appropriately targeted interventions for those who find reading a little tricky.
- Children dive into our exciting reading competitions throughout the year where they aim to read a little something every night and are rewarded for their hard work.
- Adults in our school love hearing your children read and regular opportunities are provided.
- Our online reading programme, ‘Bug Club’ provides fantastic reading experiences and teachers select reading materials at the appropriate levels for the children to enjoy as part of their home learning activities.
- A wide selection of up-to-date reading books are available within lessons, class book corners and our school library.
- The children are often invited to become authors themselves in our whole school Book Weeks and Author Visits.
- Visits to Larkfield Library and Book Fairs provide children with a wide variety of rich texts to explore and the chance to ‘get lost in a book’.